NEW ROLE! Seeking world-class Principal AV Engineer to join our award winning team!
Our Engineering Team are at the heart and soul of every Vanti project and our Principal Engineers help to lead and develop our talented Engineering Team through technical expertise. They construct highly complex and intricate technology solutions focusing primarily on integrating control systems such as AMX and Crestron with other audio and video hardware, as well as building services such as lighting and HVAC systems. They are in charge of the technical delivery of smaller projects from end to end, ensuring that designs are translated correctly into fully working solutions and that systems are properly documented and handed over to our service team. They also assist with the training and development of more junior Engineers, whilst working alongside Commissioning Engineers and Software Developers when commissioning or troubleshooting systems on larger projects.
Principal Engineers are the ones in charge of quality control at an engineering level, focused on the detail, making sure that equipment racks are built and wired to the right standard. By completing initial testing and sign off, you’ll ensure that every component, cable and connector in every Vanti engineered system is wired to the correct standard, ensuring long term reliability with minimal maintenance and support. At the end of a project you will often find yourself handing systems over to clients and showing them how their new equipment works, helping build their confidence whilst maintaining a great Vanti experience.
(Midlands based with UK Travel – mostly South East)
What will you be really great at?
- Common sense – sounds like a simple one, but its key to the success of the role! Can you make good decisions that benefit the client, the team and the Vanti business as a whole?
- When thrown in at the deep end, you’re quick to learn and pick up new principles, tools and methods
- Mindful of your actions and fantastic communication skills – both with fellow team members and clients when things are going well and when things don’t go to plan and need adult conversations!
- High level of diplomacy and trust
- You value team over personal success
- Highly detail focused, capable of logically approaching situations and adapting to situations onsite as they arise e.g. expected cable route blocked, work by others not completed etc.
- Lives and breathes safety best practice – keen awareness of risks to others
Some of the essential skills / experience required:
- Second-fix termination – connector assembly and soldering to create complete cables
- Equipment rack installation – building, cabling (soldering / crimping) and testing
- Basic networking knowledge – IP addressing, subnets, DNS and VLANs
- Installation of projectors and projector screens, including accurate alignment and a clear understanding of lens throw ratios
- Video wall installation and commissioning
- Highly knowledgeable in all video and audio signal types
- Video Conferencing System (Polycom, Cisco) installation and basic commissioning and testing (e.g. camera alignment)
- Experience of accurately documenting installed systems (recording of serial / asset numbers, etc)
- Demonstrable experience and/or certification in AMX, Crestron, and Extron hardware
- Good working knowledge of audio systems including digital signal processors
- Strong engineering, carpentry and metalworking skills
- Good working knowledge of electrical systems
Would be amazing if you had it!
- Experience creating testing schedules
- Colour balancing of video walls
- Basic sound system commissioning (e.g. uploading of pre-configured DSP config) on BSS Soundweb, Biamp Tesira and Q-SYS systems
- Basic understanding of IPTV systems (IP multicasting, etc)
- Basic control system commissioning (setting of IPs, device addresses, uploading of compiled code from dev team) on AMX and Crestron systems
- Experience with basic commissioning of third-party lighting systems (e.g. Lutron, MODE, Zumtobel)
- Project handover and training of client technical staff to use deployed systems
- Working knowledge of VoIP conferencing systems (BSS, Biamp, Q-SYS, ClearOne)
- Theatre Lighting – lighting bar / truss fabrication & cabling, DMX addressing, alignment
- Fabrication (e.g. creation of custom faceplates, unistrut support systems, etc.)
- Shared Vanti Values – Vanti Life
- Full UK Driving License and a love of public transport
- A longing to be based in Birmingham but unfazed by visiting clients across the country (must already be a UK resident) – you will be required to work away from home / Birmingham anywhere from 1-4 nights a week and sometimes for weeks / longer periods at a time, depending on where the project is and the duration. The role requires absolute flexibility on this.
What’s in it for you?
Vanti is an award winning business with big plans for growth and expansion. This will only become a reality if we continue to hire, develop and retain the very best talent in the industry, which is why we invest a huge amount of time into looking after our teams, teaching them the very latest technology, tools and methods and giving them a flexible career development plan that allows each individual to progress at their own pace.
Not only will you be working alongside some of the best people in the industry, but you will also get:
- Vanti company benefits (Bonus, Pension etc.)
- Tools provided
- Van provided or travel paid depending on location
- Overtime/TOIL given
- Tailored individual progression and development plan
- The chance to have an impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
- The opportunity to work on ‘world first’ projects
If you think you’ve got what it takes, even if you don’t have ALL of the skills listed (but you’re a fast learner and with the right support, know you could get up to speed quickly!) then send us a covering letter explaining why, including your salary expectations and your latest CV to email@example.com and we’ll get in touch.
Agencies / recruiters – we know you’d love to help so we’ll get in touch with you if we need your services. Thanks for understanding.
Look forward to hearing from you,